Monday 8 July 2013

Zero Dark Thirty

I'm slowly trying to catch up on all the films I missed because of uni work this year and Zero Dark Thirty was high on my list. Having read and heard such good things about it, I was highly intrigued as to whether it would live up to my expectations. And boy did it!! It was like a punch in the gut! From the intense opening scenes right until the final moments when the credits start rolling, it is just awe inspiring. 
At two and a half hours long, I was wondering if it would drag a bit but in no way does it, your eyes just cannot leave the screen. With moments of humanity that have the potential to make you really uncomfortable, particularly Jason Clarke's brutal techniques for questioning, I would advise more sensitive viewers to maybe avoid this one. 
Emotions run so high throughout the whole film, I actually gasped at one point, but I won't see which and ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it but, I would say that it is almost impossible not to become emotionally involved in these characters lives. Particularly Jessica Chastain's Maya who I found myself seriously rooting for. Chastain deserves every nomination and award that she got, she is powerful and intense and yet still vunarable and human, she is astounding. 
Finally, the actual raid on the compound at the end of the film that we all read about in the news and heard about on the radio for days. They somehow manage to make this sequence so impressive and emotive but in no way over the top. 
I could probably go on about this film for hours but I won't because i don't want to ruin it. Just watch it and see if you agree. 

Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment